5 Ways to Easily Capture the Social Vibe at Trade Shows and Conferences
Social media is a big part of attending a conference or a trade show. It is a great way to keep on top of the pulse of an event and connect with others at the show or in your industry. Even if you are new to social media or are not used to using it for events, these 5 tips will help you get in the know.
- Follow the Golden Rule: No need to be critical or negative. Remember when your mom would say, “If you don’t have something nice to say, don’t say anything at all”? Or an even better, updated saying to think of is “you catch more followers with honey”. If you are at a conference with speakers or panelists, send them a compliment about their session or share quotes from their presentation. Be sure to give them credit.
- Use the Right Hashtags: Just about every event nowadays has their own hashtags. If you are running a trade show or conference, coming up with and publishing a hashtag is the best way to coordinate all of the social media efforts and then have the ability to track mentions. As an attendee, using and then following the hashtag helps you see what is happening, stay in touch, and meet new people.
- Reach Out Online: Connecting with other individuals at the conference or trade show, or perhaps in your industry but weren’t able to make it to the trade show is the best way to meet new people and connect with industry professionals. Using hashtags will really be important in this area.
- Balance Time between Social Media and Networking: Don’t get so wrapped up in posting on social media that you forget to or miss the chance to connect with other conference attendees in person.
- Don’t Forget to Have Fun: Social media should never be too serious. Have fun with your social media posting from and about trade shows or conferences that you attend. Humour is a great way to attract attention and gain followers.